Care Coordinator I
This position is primarily responsible for answering administrative telephone lines and supporting and coordinating our One Call Solution, a seamless delivery of care for the region’s non-emergent transports, by working with various healthcare institutions, physicians, public services agencies (fire, police and highway patrol), ground and air ambulance agencies personnel, patients and their families, and various service groups for public relations and educational purposes.
- Within this general framework, this position is accountable for the following functions: Receives, processes, coordinates, and schedules non-emergent medical transports and long-distance transports.
- Answers and processes non-emergent, administrative calls originating on the REMSA administrative phone lines.
- Refers emergent calls for service to the appropriate PSAP.
- Accurately and efficiently input information into Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
- Maintain accurate and true records in all electronic and non-electronic platforms.
- Transfer calls to appropriate department or agencies as needed.
- Read, update, and remain current on pertinent Agency Center policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Gathers and documents required medical necessity and billing payment information.
- Identify and coordinate the appropriate non-emergent transportation resource, either internally or using external contacts to provide the appropriate level and mode of transportation based on a standardized protocol and criteria for medical patients and customers.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers, patients and coworkers.
- Maintain professional and respectful relationships with all co-workers, customers, patients and management.
- Receive and complete requests for services which are non-call related from management and other individuals in a courteous and professional manner.
- Provide professional, considerate, and courteous service to all customers regardless of who they are. Promote high quality professional service to all personnel by setting examples of good work ethic, attitude, and accuracy.
- Constructively recommend changes to management as necessary to improve service; better clarify policies or procedures, and any other continual process improvement
- Identifies resources to facilitate alternative transport options.
- Perform any other duties assigned or requested.
- Work overtime as requested
- Completes follow-up regarding issues, problems and concerns from providers and patients; assists with patient satisfaction survey processes as assigned.
- Participates in related process improvement activities.
- Completes associated administrative tasks including transport summaries, reports, reconciliation, etc.
- Works collaboratively internally and externally to advance the objectives of the organization.
- Serves as a resource to internal staff, external community partners and our community.
- Attends, participates in all company mandates trainings and meetings.
- Utilize and employ the principles of STAR CARE, support and promote the organization’s mission, values and vision.
- Performs other functions and duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Experience Requirements
- Ability to build and establish collaborative partnerships, foster teamwork, be resourceful and solve problems in a high-paced environment.
- Must have experience in interpersonal communications and customer service
- Writing, prioritization and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to multi-task, specifically under periods of high call volume requests.
- Ability actively listen and process verbal or written feedback, while utilizing a complex telephone system and sophisticated electronic platforms (e.g. CAD system, email, paging system), while taking in additional audio or visual stimuli.
- Ability to type 35 wpm is required.
- Current or prior certification as an EMT is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology or medical billing and insurance preferred.