REMSA Emergency Medical Technician Course
An Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course is the entry-level course for the Emergency Medical Services profession. The curriculum includes EMT roles and responsibilities, airway management, patient assessment, medical emergencies, anatomy and physiology, documentation, lifting and moving, and communications. Practical labs will be conducted. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be eligible to take the National Registry test and certify as an EMT in the State of Nevada.
All prerequisites must be completed before the start of the class, NOT before the entrance exam.
- 18 years old at the start of class
- Have a current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR certification (BLS CPR for Healthcare Providers)
- Have current medical insurance
- Have a clean criminal record. Contact us with specific questions.
- Have proof of a negative TB exam in the last 6 months
- Have proof of immunizations including Hepatitis B, MMR-DPT and Varicella (or positive Chicken Pox history).
All prospective students must register for and complete an entrance exam to be ranked and accepted into the program. The exam includes information on Basic Life Support CPR knowledge, basic reading and math comprehension. There is no study guide for this exam. Students are encouraged to be refreshed on current AHA Healthcare Provider CPR knowledge and be prepared to complete simple math including addition, subtractions, fractions, conversions, and some basic algebra.
The EMT program for January 2020 is FULL. The next program will begin in August 2020. Watch this page for entrance testing dates (beginning in June 2020).
The EMT program meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30–10:30 p.m for 14 weeks. You must also complete one 12-hour clinical rotation within the hospital setting and one 12-hour ambulance ride-along, hours will vary for each site. National Registry practical testing is also included in the program. A date and time will be chosen for this exam at the beginning of the course.
Upcoming Course Dates:
- The next EMT course will begin on January 7, 2020.
- Entrance testing to be admitted into the next EMT course will begin on November 12, 2019. Click here to register for a specific day to take the exam.
The REMSA EMT program costs $825.00. This fee does not include the course textbook, background check fees, lab fees, or accessories that you deem necessary to be successful. Students will need to have access to a watch and a stethoscope for clinical rotations.
Once accepted into the program you will need to purchase a textbook. Information about the required text will be included with your acceptance notification. Do not wait to secure your textbook as it is required on the first day of class.